In an atmosphere of dignity and respect, Inspiration Corporation helps people who are affected by homelessness and poverty to improve their lives and increase self-sufficiency through the provision of social services, employment training and housing. Since 1989, Inspiration Corporation has assisted thousands of individuals and families affected by homelessness, extreme poverty and recent incarceration each year – serving as a catalyst for self-reliance.
Inspiration Corporation programs are voluntary, and all service needs and goals are participant- driven. Our case management philosophy is strengths-based and trauma-informed. Inspiration Corporation practices harm reduction and focuses on reducing or minimizing the harm associated with high-risk behavior through motivational interviewing.
At Inspiration Corporation, employees live this mission by demonstrating the following Core Values. Inspiration Corporation believes that these Core Values are what makes the organization one of Chicago’s leading facilitators of personal transformation, and a great place to work:
- Communicate honestly
- Act with compassion
- Pursue growth and learning
- Be humble
- Take care of ourselves so we can help others
- Work greater together
- Create a fun and productive environment
The Development Associate provides support in database management, communications, individual giving, volunteer activities, special events, and marketing. The position requires an excellent understanding of database management; excellent written and verbal communication skills; strong judgment and ethics, the ability to work in a team environment as well as independently; strong multi-tasking and organizational skills; and ability to problem-solve.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
GIFTS PROCESSING AND DATABASE MANAGEMENT
- Receive and process all donations and contributions to Inspiration Corporation
- Ensure that all financial and in-kind contributions are delivered to the Finance department
- Generate and send timely acknowledgement communications to donors
- Enter all donations and contributions in the donor database
- Maintain contacts, contact information, and other data in donor database as well as on any other relevant platforms (The Raiser’s Edge, Constant Contact, Volgistics etc) for donors, volunteers, prospects, board members, etc.
- Develop database skills and maintain proficiency through appropriate training
- Ensure that all data conforms with existing formats and styles
- Perform database updates, such as EmailFinder, PhoneFinder and monitor NCOA updates
- Use The Raiser’s Edge software to prepare mailing lists, as well as donor and gift reports
- Administer Inspiration Corporation’s monthly giving program
- Track and ensure proper record keeping, acknowledgement, and notification of tribute (in honor of/in memorial of) gifts
- Track progress towards challenge grants or other special campaigns
- Generate content for communications including direct mail campaigns, social media, the agency blog, general e-newsletters, annual report, and other print materials
- Regularly conduct interviews with Inspiration Corporation participants to demonstrate successful program outcomes
- Provide updated and accurate mailing and digital lists
- Work with Associate Director of Development and Events and Marketing Coordinator to develop invitation lists for events
- Demonstrate Inspiration Corporation’s Core Values
- Exhibit professionalism and high standards in all aspects of performance
- Provide “day of” assistance at development events as needed.
- Attend weekly Development department meeting and enlist support when needed.
- Communicate with donors by phone, e-mail or in person to explain Inspiration Corporation and its work and solicit or accept donations on behalf of the organization
- Represent Inspiration Corporation at other events, including staffing tables, public speaking, etc. as needed
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university, or equivalent experience required. Computer skills are essential; experience with The Raiser’s Edge or other fundraising data management software desired. This position requires regular communication with both individuals and groups in-person, over the phone, and by email.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and talk or hear.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Maintains standard office hours. Attends evening, weekend, and early morning functions as required.
Email resume & cover letter to: email@example.com. Please include “Development Associate” in the subject line of your email.