In an atmosphere of dignity and respect, Inspiration Corporation helps people who are affected by homelessness and poverty to improve their lives and increase self-sufficiency through the provision of social services, employment training and housing. Since 1989, Inspiration Corporation has assisted thousands of individuals and families affected by homelessness, extreme poverty and recent incarceration each year – serving as a catalyst for self-reliance.
Inspiration Corporation programs are voluntary, and all service needs and goals are participant- driven. Our case management philosophy is strengths-based and trauma-informed. Inspiration Corporation practices harm reduction and focuses on reducing or minimizing the harm associated with high-risk behavior through motivational interviewing.
At Inspiration Corporation, employees live this mission by demonstrating the following Core Values. Inspiration Corporation believes that these Core Values are what makes the organization one of Chicago’s leading facilitators of personal transformation, and a great place to work:
- Communicate honestly
- Act with compassion
- Pursue growth and learning
- Be humble
- Take care of ourselves so we can help others
- Work greater together
- Create a fun and productive environment
The Operations Assistant is part of the Operations team at Inspiration Corporation. The Operations Assistant is responsible for the overall cleanliness and maintenance of the buildings, grounds, vehicles, and equipment at the Uptown and Garfield Park locations of Inspiration Corporation, spending approximately 1-2 days per week at the Uptown facility, and 3-4 days per week at the Garfield park facility.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrate Inspiration Corporation’s Core Values.
- Exhibit professionalism and high standards in all aspects of performance.
- Ensure the efficient and effective provision of meals with dignity and respect in accordance with the agency’s mission.
- Work with all departments as appropriate to ensure that the needs of the agency and it’s participants are addressed.
- Attend department and agency meetings.
- Maintain a positive, organized, and safe environment at all times.
- Perform routine daily maintenance and cleaning tasks including, but not limited to: sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, waste disposal and recycling.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms, door handles, and high touch surfaces as often as is deemed necessary, in accordance with Chicago Department of Public Health standards.
- Perform small repairs as needed to buildings, grounds, and equipment including lighting, painting, fencing, HVAC, etc.
- Regularly inspect vehicles and equipment to ensure they are in good working order and maintain schedules for preventive maintenance.
- Drive Inspiration Corporation vans as needed to pick up or drop off supplies, food, etc.
- Meet with contractors and repair specialists as needed.
- Perform seasonal grounds maintenance including garden upkeep, shoveling snow, and salt applications.
- Provide operations support to kitchen staff and other departments as needed.
- Complete other projects as assigned.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
High School diploma or GED equivalent required. Basic computer skills required, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Office. Two or more years of janitorial or maintenance experience is desired. A valid Chicago Food & Sanitation License is required and must be obtained within three months of position start date (training provided). A clean driving record and reliable transportation is required. Skills/experience in carpentry, basic plumbing, equipment use & maintenance, and painting are highly desired, but not necessary.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to walk. The employee is regularly required to stand. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Work shifts will be determined by management. Attends evening, weekend, and early morning meetings and functions as required.
Email resume & cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Operations Assistant” in the subject line of your email.