In an atmosphere of dignity and respect, Inspiration Corporation helps people who are affected by homelessness and poverty to improve their lives and increase self-sufficiency through the provision of social services, employment training and housing. Since 1989, Inspiration Corporation has assisted thousands of individuals and families affected by homelessness, extreme poverty and recent incarceration by serving as a catalyst for self-reliance.
Inspiration Corporation programs are voluntary, and all service needs and goals are participant driven. Our case management philosophy is strengths-based and trauma-informed. Inspiration Corporation practices harm reduction and focuses on reducing or minimizing the harm associated with high-risk behavior through motivational interviewing.
At Inspiration Corporation, employees live this mission by demonstrating the following Core Values. Inspiration Corporation believes that these Core Values are what makes the organization one of Chicago’s leading facilitators of personal transformation, and a great place to work:
- Communicate honestly
- Act with compassion
- Pursue growth and learning
- Be humble
- Take care of ourselves so we can help others
- Work greater together
- Create a fun and productive environment
The Part-Time Meal’s Specialist & Driver key responsibilities are to assist with weekly meal production, restaurant prep, catering, occasional pick-up and deliveries, along with maintaining the cleanliness of the kitchen and their workstation.
- Demonstrate Inspiration Corporation’s Core Values.
- Uphold Policies and Procedures of Inspiration Corporation and Inspiration Kitchens.
- Exhibit professionalism and high standards in all aspects of performance.
- Maintain a safe environment inside kitchen and throughout facility.
- Be proactive in approach to pest control with guidance from supervisor.
- Follow health, safety, and sanitation guidelines for all products.
- Attend department and agency meetings
- Be flexible with hours for special events throughout the year.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING, OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED:
- Work with the on-duty Chef /Kitchen Manager in the preparation of meals, catering and the restaurant.
- Assist in the set up and break down of kitchen areas.
- Prioritize work to accomplish daily, weekly and monthly tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Follow restaurant/kitchen policies and procedures for operational flow at each station.
- Maintain a clean, orderly, and sanitized kitchen by washing dishes, sanitizing surfaces, equipment, and taking out trash.
- Together with the Kitchen team maintain and properly clean, sanitize, and organize all areas as directed by supervisor.
- Performs cleaning tasks, uphold cleaning standards and works as a kitchen team member.
- Receive, label, date and appropriately store all deliveries from vendors and donors while following standards for stocking, rotating, and storing all products. F.I.F.O. (First In First Out).
- Report needs of essential working supplies within a 3- day notice.
CUSTOMER SERVICE (CATERING, PARTNERS, DONORS)
- Give a friendly greeting.
- Share information about Inspiration Corporation’s mission and work, including the foodservice training program to customers.
- Discover customer’s needs and appropriately suggest products with every delivery to enhance service and meet production goals.
- Deliver Inspiration Kitchens food proudly and with care.
- Pick-up perishable and non-perishable food from donors.
- Inform the Head Chef or General Manager on duty of any concerns or complaints in a timely manner.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The following requirements are representative of the education, experience and skills necessary for the position.
- Knowledge of cooking techniques.
- Understanding of ingredients, recipes, kitchen safety and sanitation.
- Familiar with general kitchen equipment, catering equipment and appliances.
- Patience with the ability to stay positive, perform under pressure, complete work on time while maintaining focus in a fast paced environment.
- Manual dexterity to operate cooking tools such as knives.
- A team player with good communication skills.
- Able to follow instructions.
- Ability to bend, stretch, lift, carry and/or move heavy material.
- Physically able to stand for long periods.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Flexibility to work shifts, weekdays, weekends, and nights.
- Prior experience as a cashier and/or restaurant server is preferred.
- A clean driving record.
- Food and Sanitation Certificate preferred.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by, an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to walk and stand for long periods. The employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The Part-Time Meal Specialist will work a maximum of 29 hours per week in accordance with the demands of meals, catering and restaurant services, which may include early mornings, days, evenings, weekends and functions as required.
Main office location: Inspiration Kitchens, 3504 W. Lake Street, Chicago IL 60624
Email resume & cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Meals Specialist and Driver” in the subject line of your email.
Inspiration Corporation is an equal opportunity employer.