In an atmosphere of dignity and respect, Inspiration Corporation helps people who are affected by homelessness and poverty to improve their lives and increase self-sufficiency through the provision of social services, employment training and housing. Since 1989, Inspiration Corporation has assisted thousands of individuals and families affected by homelessness, extreme poverty and recent incarceration each year – serving as a catalyst for self-reliance.
Inspiration Corporation programs are voluntary, and all service needs and goals are participant- driven. Our case management philosophy is strengths-based and trauma-informed. Inspiration Corporation practices harm reduction and focuses on reducing or minimizing the harm associated with high-risk behavior through motivational interviewing.
At Inspiration Corporation, employees live this mission by demonstrating the following Core Values. Inspiration Corporation believes that these Core Values are what makes the organization one of Chicago’s leading facilitators of personal transformation, and a great place to work:
- Communicate honestly
- Act with compassion
- Pursue growth and learning
- Be humble
- Take care of ourselves so we can help others
- Work greater together
- Create a fun and productive environment
The Staff Accountant position is a full-time position responsible for performing a variety of accounting and financial management duties. Reporting to the Director of Finance, this position supports Inspiration Corporation’s ability to produce timely and accurate financial statements while staying compliant with GAAP, FASB, and federal, state, and local financial requirements.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Demonstrate Inspiration Corporation’s Core Values
- Utilize latest data and current thinking within the accounting and finance fields to inform agency’s processes. Attend appropriate workshops and seminars.
- Attend All Staff and Finance & Admin department meetings
- Exhibit professionalism and high standards in all aspects of performance
- Perform daily finance /accounting operations to ensure timely month-end and year-end close, and assist with production of financial reports as needed
- Review, code, and enter invoices, check requests, and expense reimbursements in support of the Accounts Payable function, and address inquiries from vendors as needed
- Record, manage and monitor Accounts Receivable accordingly within agency’s standard financial policies
- Review, code, and enter cash transactions including bank deposits, credit card receipts and debit card transactions
- Perform monthly bank and stock account reconciliations and verify deposits
- Assist with establishment and enforcement of proper and efficient accounting procedures and policies
- Assist with preparation for annual agency financial audit, and work with auditors to provide all requested information
- Maintain neat, orderly and current filing system for all finance and accounting documents
- Prepare and submit government contract vouchers on time, as often as the contract permits, requires, or is reasonable, and with proper backup documentation and necessary signatures.
- Monitor the receipt of government funds and process accordingly within agency’s standard financial procedures.
- Develop and maintain dashboard of grant information, activity, and expenditures.
- Conduct monthly review in order to effectively manage the financial activities of each contract. Ensure that all activities fall within contract and agency guidelines and grants are being spent down appropriately.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES None.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, or business administration from an accredited four-year college or university required. 1-2 years of prior accounting or non-profit experience required. Strong computer skills are essential, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel. Excellent financial and quantitative skills and familiarity with GAAP and FASB regulations are required. Familiarity with accounting software Fund EZ is a plus, but not required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistics. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk and stand. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
Maintains standard office hours. Occasional travel between the primary office in Uptown and Inspiration Kitchens in Garfield Park will be required. Attends evening, weekend, and early morning functions as required.
In keeping with COVID-19 safety precautions that Inspiration Corporation has implemented, the Staff Accountant will be asked to perform work remotely to the extent possible; however, on-site work will be regularly required of the Staff Accountant due to the nature of the duties of the position.
Email resume & cover letter to: email@example.com. Please include “Staff Accountant” in the subject line of your email.